Dear Mustang Families,
We are grateful to be starting in person learning soon and understand that many of our students are excited to return. Others may be uneasy, anxious or nervous about returning or even being at Monticello for the first time. This is especially true for our 6th graders and our new transfer students. We are focused on welcoming everyone to Monticello first as individual people and secondly as students. Our entire first week will be spent reconnecting and introducing ourselves to our students and reassuring those that will be understandably anxious. We will be patient with each other as we are learning new processes, safety procedures and learning how to attend school again. We ask for your patience as well during this time. We will work to develop personal relationships with all of our students and thus we will not be zooming to remote classes during the first week. Students at home can expect to have independent work assigned to them while we retrain, relearn and reconnect with our in person students. On Wednesday all students will be working remotely and have an opportunity to check in with their teachers.
Parents who have requested their students remain in remote learning this year, but who would prefer their students return to school in hybrid, should contact us at 360-575-7042 to make arrangements. Parents who wish to keep their student(s) fully remote, should email or call the school to verify their intent to keep their student(s) home.
In order to make the start of remote run smoothly, we have provided details you need to know as your prepare to send your student(s) back. I will be sending out information to students and families daily so please continue to monitor your email over the next week.
- Students transported to school by parents/guardians are asked to arrive no earlier than 7:30am in the morning. If your child is planning on having breakfast, please arrive at 7:30am. If your child is not planning on having breakfast, please arrive at 7:40am.
- All students will enter the building from the back driveway between Monticello and Olympic. 6th graders will enter the door closest to Hemlock Street. 7th graders will enter the back gym door closest to the girl’s locker room and 8th graders will enter the gym door closest to the boy’s locker room. Entrances will be marked.
- Monticello is a walking school, but we do have two bus routes. Bus pick up times and locations have changed, so click this link Boundaries & Busing - Longview School District (longviewschools.com) to find out the location of your student’s bus stop and the time the bus will arrive and drop off.
- We are asking students or parents to fill out the daily Wellness Screening for their student prior to entering the building. This is an important step that will help us limit the length of time that students are waiting to enter the building. Click here to see a video explaining the Wellness Checks or to print a paper copy. (https://www.longviewschools.com/daily-wellness-check)
- After entering the building, students are welcome to a free breakfast and then should head straight to their first period class. Mustang stickers have been placed outside each classroom to maintain social distancing while waiting for the teacher.
- Please do not send your child to school if they are feeling ill. Download the district mobile app at the Apple App or Google Play store to make reporting absences easy.
- Students must wear a cloth face covering at school and on buses. No masks with mesh or vents will be allowed. Face coverings are available at school in case your student needs one.
- A free lunch will be provided to each student or you can bring a lunch from home.
- Students should bring their Chromebook to school each day including the first day.
- Please bring a backpack or book bag as we will not be using lockers for health safety reasons.
- Please bring a water bottle that can be refilled as all water fountains are now turned off.
- Students are expected to follow health safety protocols. Signage throughout the schools will act as reminders to wear masks, social distance, and wash hands frequently.
- School ends at 2:25pm and all students should be picked promptly.
- For the first week only, February 22-26, our teachers will be working with the students in the building to review school and classroom expectations. During this time, remote students will receive online instructions through their google classrooms with one exception. On Wednesday, February 24, teachers will be available to remote students via zoom.
- Although we are on a hybrid schedule, all students will be expected to engage in learning 5 days a week. Attendance will be taken each day for each period.
- School pictures will take place on February 18th and February 19th from 1pm-5pm. This will be a drive thru event. Stay tuned for more information.
We are excited to get our students back in school. It will take a week or two for the students to adapt to the health safety measures, but we know they will do a great job. I want to thank you for all of your patience and support during these challenging times. If you have questions, please reach out to the school at 360-575-7056.
Principal Monticello Middle School