At their regular meeting on November 9, 2020, the Board of Directors:
- Heard a report on the lastest COVID-19 data for Cowlitz County.
- Were informed that given the high COVID-19 infection rate, the superintendent made the decision to postpone hybrid learning at the secondary level until infection rates decline. Dr. Zorn reported that elementary schools would continue in hybrid learning at this time, but noted if the numbers continue to trend upward, he may have to have all student roll back to remote learning.
- Heard comments from concerned teachers who were worried about student learning and the number of students who are failing classes at the secondary level. Heard comments from parents who wanted their children in school, and others who felt students should be in full remote until infection rates go down and a vaccine is available. Other concerned teachers were worried about student mental health in the remote learning model.
- Heard comments from a staff member who reported that when teachers are required to quarantine or multiple staff in one building, it is difficult to find subs to fill their positions.
- Approved the final acceptance of Summer PRAM projects and authorized final payments.
- Learned the superintendent planned to move forward with revising the Design for Excellence, to strategically plan five years out.
- Set a special meeting on September 7 to discuss the Design for Excellence in a workshop format.
- Appointed Crystal Moldenhauer to the vacant Board of Director Position #2 position.
Next board meeting is scheduled for November 23, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. via zoom.