At their regular meeting on November 23, 2020, the Board of Directors:
- Welcomed new board member Crystal Moldenhauer.
- Voted to have Don Wiitala serve as the President of the Board and Jennifer Leach as the Vice President, through November 2021.
- Se the day and time of their regular meetings to the second and fourth Mondays of each month at 6:30 p.m. with the exception of December 27, which is during winter break.
- Approved the personnel report, the minutes and the warrants.
- Heard a report from Superintendent Zorn about the latest COVID-19 infection rates in the county, which are trending upward. At the time of the report, the local infection rate was 309 per 100,000 over a two week period. The positive test rate, which was two weeks old was 12.6%. Due to the high infection rate and the challenges it presents with staffing and attendance, Dr. Zorn reported that he would be rolling all students back to full remote learning until conditions improve - until further notice.
- Heard public comments from an R.A. Long student who was disappointed about school remaining in remote learning and who asked for proof as to why plans to go into hybrid learning had to be changed. She expressed concern for the well being of students who are going through remote schooling.
- Heard comments from Mark Morris Teacher Steve Powell who urged the board and superintendent to lobby legislators and OSPI to roll back the 24 credit graduation requirement to 22, to allow some flexibility for students to graduate on time. The current 24 credit state law has very little flexibility. A good number of students are receiving failing grades, which will put them behind for on time graduation.
- Heard an informational report on the supports provided to teachers in the area of Elementary learning, specifically, supports for remote and hybrid teaching.
- Heard a presentation by the Executive Director of Business Services Patti Bowen on the 2019-20 Year End Financial Report.
- Conducted a first reading on Policy 3001 Equity, Policy and Procedure 5253 Maintaining Professional Staff and Student Boundaries.
Next board meeting is December 7, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. via zoom.