At their regular meeting on October 12, 2020, the Board of Directors:
- Approved the consent agenda which contained the minutes from their September 28, 2020, regular meeting, the personnel report and warrants.
- Heard a report from the superintendent related to the Communications Department receiving awards through the Washington School Public Relations Association including Best in Category for the Special Purpose Publication which is the How To Guide and an Award of Excellence for the Annual Report.
- Heard an update on the Cowlitz County COVID positive case rate, which is now in the moderate range, which will allow the district to proceed with transitioning to hybrid learning beginning on October 19 for grades K-2; October 26 for grades 3-5; and November 9 for secondary students.
- Heard a variety of concerns from parents about getting their children into school full time with full supports, concern by a citizen who was worried teachers were being asked to do too much with both in person teaching and remote teaching, and appreciation by a teacher who thanked the board for following the state safety guidelines for reopening for the health and safety of all involved.
- Elected Don Wiitala as the board president and Jennifer Leach as the Board Vice President.
- Approved the Board Director Vacancy Timeline and agreed to have a subcommittee meet to discuss how best to hold the interviews, which must be public.
- Heard the annual demographics report. The demographics of the district have changed very little, other than enrollment which is down by 300 students during the pandemic.
- Adopted the board goals for 2020-21 and agreed to periodically check in on those goals this year.
- Awarded the Cascade and Monticello HVAC Controls Retrofit Project to Delta Connects in the amount of $1654,120 plus sales tax.
- Heard a report on board subcommittees, and requested a report on the new hybrid model after students come back.
Next Meeting: October 26, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.