Longview School District


Longview, WA, USA
Release of Resident Students Policy 3140

Policy No. 3140




A student who resides within the boundaries of the district shall be released to attend school or file the parental declaration of intent to provide home-based instruction and enroll for ancillary services, if any, in another district that agrees to accept the student if:

A. A financial, educational, safety or health condition affecting the student would be reasonably improved as a result of the transfer;

B. Attendance at the school in the nonresident district is more accessible to the parent's place of work or to the location of child care; or

C. There is some other special hardship or detrimental condition affecting the student or the student's immediate family that would be alleviated as a result of the transfer. Special hardship or detrimental condition includes, but is not limited to, the following:

  1. A student who becomes a resident of the district in mid-year may apply for a release to complete the current school year only in his or her former district of residence, if transferring mid-year would create a special hardship or detrimental condition.
  2. A student who has dropped out of high school for six weeks or longer, or has returned from participation in a substance abuse treatment program, or is about to become or is a teen parent, or has returned from hospitalization due to a mental health problem may be released to attend any other high school in the state provided he or she is accepted by the nonresident high school.

D. The student is a child of a full-time certificated or classified school employee.

In all cases that the district approves the release of a resident student, the student or the student's parent(s) shall be solely responsible for transportation, except that a student may ride on an established district bus route if the superintendent determines that the district would incur no additional cost and space is available.

A parent or guardian shall request the release of his/her child by completing the appropriate district form including the basis for the request and the signature of the superintendent, or his or her designee, of the school district which the student will attend.

The superintendent shall grant or deny the request for release according to the above-stated criteria, and promptly notify the parent in writing of his/ her decision.

If the request is granted, the superintendent shall notify the nonresident district and make necessary arrangements for the transfer of student records.

If the request for release is denied, the superintendent or designee shall inform the parent or guardian of the right to appeal such decision to the superintendent of public instruction.

Legal References:

RCW   28A.225.220

Adults, children from other districts, agreements, for attending school–Tuition


Appeal from certain decisions to deny student's request to attend nonresident district–Procedure


Enrolling children of certificated and classified school employees

28A.225.290 Enrollment options – booklet
28A.225.300 Enrollment options – parents
WAC   392-137-040

District policies–Procedures and criteria for release of resident students and admission of nonresident students

392-137-055 Related services


Adopted: February 8, 2010