REIMBURSEMENT FOR LOSS OF PERSONAL EQUIPMENT
Administrators and classified employees shall be reimbursed for the loss of personal equipment used by employees in the performance of their responsibilities, provided such loss arises from fire, malicious damage by students, or theft by forcible entry. Such equipment shall be registered with, and its use authorized by, the employee's immediate supervisor before it is eligible for reimbursement. Where possible, all equipment must be permanently marked with the employee's driver's license number. The dollar value of the personal equipment or materials shall be determined at the time it is being registered. Reimbursement is subject to the following conditions:
- There must be filed with the district business office, within twenty (20) days after damage or loss, a notice of loss and a claim for reimbursement approved by the employee's immediate supervisor.
- Payment of claims will be subject to a maximum reimbursement of $100 and a deductible of $25 per claim.
- The maximum payments for all claims for all employees during the school year will be $1,000. Claims will be held for payment until ten (10) days after the last day of school. Claims received after that date will be held for the ensuing school year. If the total payments will exceed the $1,000 maximum, each payment will be proportioned so the maximum will not be exceeded. Payment will be made as soon as possible, but no later than August 1.
- In order for payment to be made, there must be proof submitted that the employee has no insurance or that his/her other insurance does not cover the damage or loss in question. An employee must exhaust his/her own insurance possibilities before being eligible for reimbursement under this provision.
- No claim will be approved when damage or loss involves negligence on the part of the employee.
Employees who are members of Longview Education Association are afforded similar protection in the collective bargaining agreement.
Initially Adopted: November 17, 1981
Adopted: March 22, 2010