Longview School District


Longview, WA, USA

Policy No. 3141




Any student who resides outside the Longview School District may apply to attend a school in the district or file the parental declaration of the intent to provide home-based instruction and enroll for ancillary services, if any.  For priority consideration, nonresident transfer applications will be accepted between January 1st and March 31st of each school year for the following school year. Applications for transfer into the district or home-based instruction will be considered in the order received in the office of the superintendent or designee and according to the priorities and procedures listed in Policy 3132. Applications must be submitted to the receiving district first.

The superintendent or designee shall develop an application form which contains information includ­ing, but not limited to, the current legal residence of the child and the school district in which he or she is currently enrolled or receiving home-based instruction, the reason for requesting release from the resident district and the specific building and grade level (elementary) or course offerings (secondary) in which the student desires to be enrolled.

Staff members may provide normal information about the programs of the school involved, but shall not engage in any form of recruiting related to academics, athletics and activities.

Homeless children will be allowed to attend school in the district in accordance with state law.

The superintendent or designee will accept or reject an application for nonresident admission based upon the following standards:

  1. Whether space is available in the grade level, program, and/or courses at the building in which the student desires to be enrolled;
  2. Whether appropriate educational programs or services are available to improve the student's condition as stated in requesting release from his or her district of resi­dence; and
  3. Whether the student's attendance in the district is likely to create a risk to the health or safety of other students or staff.
  4. Whether the proposed entrance date provides sufficient time to expect probable success during that quarter or semester.
  5. Whether there is reasonable chance the student’s attendance, citizenship, and academic progress will be unsatisfactory, taking into account the records from the student’s previous school.
  6. Whether the student participates in all state/district testing.
  7. Whether a student is ostensibly applying for entrance for the sole purpose of graduating.  Such a student shall be required to enter at the beginning of the semester previous to commencement.
  8. Whether acceptance of the student would result in the district experiencing a financial hardship.
  9. Whether the student’s disciplinary records indicate a history of violent or disruptive behavior or gang membership (a gang means a group of three or more persons with identifiable leadership that on an ongoing basis regularly conspires and acts in concert mainly for criminal purposes).
  10. Whether the student has been expelled or suspended from a public school for more than ten consecutive days, in which case the student may apply for admission under the district’s policy for readmission of expelled students.
  11. Children of full-time certificated and classified school employees must be allowed to enroll at a school where the employee is assigned or at a school in the district’s K-12 continuum that includes the school to which the employee is assigned unless:

A. The student has a history of convictions, violent or disruptive behavior, or gang membership;

B. The student has been expelled or suspended from school for more than ten consecutive days; or

C. Enrollment of a child would displace a child who is a resident of the district (the child must be permitted to remain enrolled until he or she completes his or her schooling).

These mandatory transfer provisions do not apply to students who reside outside the state of Washington.

The acceptance of a student is for one school year according to the conditions listed on the Application for Attendance in Nonresident District form, and must be renewed prior to entering school during any subsequent year.

A student who resides in a district that does not operate a secondary program shall be permitted to enroll in secondary schools in this district in accordance with state law and regulation relating to the financial responsibility of the resident district.

A student who has dropped out of high school for six weeks or longer, or has returned from participation in a substance abuse treatment program, or is about to become or is a teen parent, or has returned from hospitalization due to a mental health problem may attend high school in the district regardless of residence.  Such a student will be admitted provided that appropriate educational programs are available to accommodate the needs of the student.

Eligibility of transfer students for participation in extracurricular activities shall be subject to rules adopted by the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association and Longview School District eligibility policy 2151.

The superintendent or designee in a timely manner shall provide all applicants with writ­ten notification of the approval or denial of the application. The notification will take place within 45 calendar days of the receipt of the request. If the student is to be admit­ted, the superintendent or designee shall notify the resident district and make necessary arrangements for the transfer of student records.

The decision of the district to deny the admission of a nonresident student may be appealed to the superintendent of public instruction or his or her designee.


Legal References:

RCW 28A.225.215 Homeless children

Adults, children from other districts, agreements for attending school—Tuition


Applications from nonresident students or students receiving home-based instruction to attend district school--Acceptance and rejection—Notification


Appeal from certain decisions to deny student's request to attend nonresident district procedure

28A.225.240 Apportionment Credit

Enrolling children of certificated and classified school employees

28A.225.290 Enrollment options – booklet
28A.225.300 Enrollment options – parents
WAC 392-137-160 Admission by nonresident district—Released students
392-137-190  Appeal notice--Denial of release or admission
392-137-195  Filing of notices of appeals
392-137-205 Noncompliance with standards and procedures—Grounds for admission
392-137-230 Length of acceptance


Cross Reference: Board Policy 3132, Transfer Students

Initially Adopted: June 11, 1990

Adopted: February 8, 2010

Amended: April 11, 2011