Longview School District


Longview, WA, USA
Enrollment Policy 3120

Policy No. 3120




The superintendent will develop procedures for enrolling students, recording attendance behavior, and counseling and correcting students with attendance problems. When enrolling a student who has attended school in another school district, the parent and student will be required to briefly indicate in writing whether or not the student has:

  1. Any history of placement in a special education program;
  2. Any past, current or pending disciplinary actions;
  3. Any history of violent behavior or convictions;
  4. Adjudications or diversion agreements related to a violent offense, a sex offense, inhaling toxic fumes, a drug offense, a liquor violation, assault, kidnapping, harassment, stalking or arson;
  5. Any unpaid fines or fees from other schools; and
  6. Any health conditions affecting the student’s educational needs.

The school enrolling the student shall request the school the student previously attended to send the student’s permanent record including records of disciplinary action, history of violent behavior or behavior listed in RCW 13.04.155, attendance, immunization records, and academic performance.

If the district receives information through the processes described above, that a student has a history of disciplinary actions, criminal or violent behavior, or other behavior that indicates the student could be a threat to the safety of staff or students, the student’s teachers and building security personnel will be informed.

The A district shall require students or their parents to provide proof of residency within the district, such as copies of phone and water bills or lease agreements.  However, the school district will not require proof of residency or any other information regarding an address for any student who is eligible by reason of age for the services of the district if the student does not have a legal residence. For students who meet the definition of homeless, the district will immediately enroll the student, including while any enrollment dispute is pending (see 3115 – Homeless Students Enrollment Rights and Services). A district will not inquire into a student’s citizenship or immigration status or that of his/her parents or guardians. The district will conditionally accept applications, including electronic applications, for enrollment and course registration for a student of a military family transferred to, or is pending transfer to, a military installation within the state (see 2100 – Educational Opportunities for Military Children). The request for enrollment may be made by the student, parent or guardian.

Since accurate enrollment and attendance records are essential both to obtain state financial reimbursement and to fulfill the district's responsibilities under the attendance laws, the schools in the district will be diligent in maintaining such records.


Cross References:

2255 Alternative Learning Experience Programs
3115 Students Experiencing Homelessness - Enrollment Rights and Services


Legal References:

RCW 28A.225.215 Enrollment of children without legal residences
RCW 28A.225.330 Enrolling students from other districts — Requests for information and permanent records — Withheld transcripts — Immunity from liability — Notification to teachers and security personnel — Rules
WAC 392-121-108 Definitions — Enrollment exclusions
WAC 392-121-122 Definitions —Full-time equivalent student
WAC 392-121-182 Alternative learning experience requirements
WAC 392-169-022 Running start student — Definition


Management Resources: 2014 - June Issue


Adopted: February 8, 2010

Amended on January 27, 2020