Longview School District


Longview, WA, USA
Diplomas for Veterans Policy 2412

Policy No. 2412




The district will issue high school diplomas to an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States who was scheduled to graduate from high school, but who left high school before graduation to serve in World War II, the Korean Conflict or the Vietnam era.

To be eligible for a diploma, the veteran or his or her representative must fill out the application provided by the Washington Department of Veteran Affairs and provide evidence of eligibility.

Veterans are eligible for the diploma even if they subsequently earned a high school equivalency certificate or are deceased.

The superintendent will determine those veterans who have substantial ties to the district.  Examples include, but are not limited to: living or having lived in the district, having attended school in the district, having children or other descendents who have attended school in the district, having been employed by the district or volunteering in the district.

Legal References:

RCW 28A-230-120 High school diplomas — Issuance — Option to receive final transcripts — Notice
RCW 41.04.005 “Veteran” defined for certain purposes

Management Resources:

Policy News, June 2008 Diplomas for Veterans
Policy News, June 2003 Honoring Veterans of the Korean
Policy News, April 2002 WWII Veterans May Receive Diplomas

Cross-Reference: Policy 2410, Graduation Requirements



Initially Adopted: March 8, 2004

Adopted: December 14, 2009